Kale, Cannellini Beans & Potato Soup

I was not planning on posting this recipe, if not for the folks at Whole Foods asking me to share it with them out of curiosity, when they saw what my son said: “it tastes like Whole Foods minestrone.”

It was a Sunday night and I felt like going out but dragging my guys out to eat, good luck to me with that. They are home buddies when it comes to food, and first thing they asked, with a whimsical curiosity, is "What's on your mind? Is it fancy?" 

This soup is a quick nutrient packed dish and I served it along with popovers. I haven't made popovers in a long while. In all honesty, I wanted to make a quick 'bread' and I love the the idea of a popovers. The technique and look as they puff up is mesmerizing, but am not really crazed for the popovers 'eggy' taste. You see the soup pictured with pitas as that is what we had with it as leftovers and hummus on the side. I kept this soup vegetarian using a vegetable stock.

If you happened to miss my article 'The Malida Ceremony' published in the Hong Kong based Asian Jewish Life Magazine, you can click here for the PDF file. I cannot wait to receive the hard copy in the mail. I also am excited the magazine is available on some El Al flights.

Kale, Cannellini Beans and Potato Soup

Ingredients:

2-4  tablespoons olive or canola oil
1 large onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium carrots, peeled and grated (can be done in a food processor)
2 celery ribs, diced
2 medium tomatoes, grated (can process to tomato sauce consistency in food processor)
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
4-6 cups or more vegetable stock, chicken stock or water (liquid added depends on the consistency desired)
Leaves off 4 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
1 bunch kale, cut ribs and stems out and coarsely chop
2 15oz cans of Cannellini, Navy or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 large Russet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
3/4 - 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and black pepper to taste
½ cup finely chopped parsley

Sauté onions and garlic in oil over low/medium heat and stir occasionally until onions are translucent. Add the celery, potato, and carrots and continue sautéing for a few minutes longer until they are semi soft (al dente). Add the kale and sauté for couple minutes further. Add fresh tomatoes and tomato sauce and cook for a couple minutes. Add the beans, vegetable/chicken stock or water, parsley, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and reduce to low/medium and cook partially covered for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes and vegetables are fork tender.  Stir occasionally and check for consistency desired.

44 comments:

  1. A wonderful soup! So comforting, warming and tasty looking.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted this too! It's cold out and I could use a big bowl of soup. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm determined to eat more kale this year, and this soup is going on my list of dishes to make soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the perfect soup - just lots and lots of veg!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely soup! I made a similar version from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks delicious! love that it is healthy, vegan, and gluten free :). and your son is still home from college? lucky you! :) hope you cherish the extended winter vacation with the family. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so amazing Shulie. An article on a magazine plus it will be on the flight!
    This soup looks very comforting and I am yet to fall in love with Kale :)
    Reading your article now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. TY my friends. It is a very comforting hearty soup. I happened to use what I had at home and come up with this. You can use your imagination. I was 'playing' with kale and chard recently. made kale chips and more. I don't think I ever bought as much kale as in recent weeks. My son and I agree with him thinks it is very similar to kelp in consistency and taste. Whether baked as a kale chip or in a soup. Ahahaha Kankana how about kelp? I completely understand where you are coming from but in all sincerity it's packed with nutrients and in this soup really tastes like minestrone so try it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this hearty soup, something I can have on a regular basis. Fancy or simple fares, you can do no wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your delicious fagioli soup. It's so nice to come home to a bowl of hot soup on a cold winter's day. I would be thrilled to have a bowl for dinner with pita and hummus-delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girlie, just looked at your link from a year ago for Fagioli. So similar only thing you used rosemary and Parmesan and I used thyme with no cheese in it. Yours looking awesome Lora!!

      Delete
  11. Now this is soup! I think I'll wait til winter to give it a try but it's a definite for me. looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I forget about the flipped seasons but at least you are enjoying warm sun rays:) Soak up some for us here experiencing winter! :)

      Delete
  12. The soup looks delicious. YAY on the article. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great soup I can say, since I also make a similar version using white bean but without the potatoes.They are absolutely delicious and comforting!Congrats on the article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! :) The base is pretty much universal. I think if I put petite pasta shells it would me more of a minestrone. I never thought of it before my son pointed it out to me but it truly had that Whole Foods Minestrone flavor.

      Delete
  14. What a healthy hearty soup - I love kale in winter soups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make similar soup sans the kale all the time during the winter especially but this winter I went kale and chard crazed. You can see chard and kale chips in previous post. I bought so many bunches of kale within the last few weeks that I don't recall ever buying so much in my lifetime. I am happy I discovered an enthusiasm for kale as it is packed with nutrients.

      Delete
  15. This looks like Food 52's Ribollita soup from Lidia Bastianich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This soup is very similar to many others. Basic onion, celery, garlic, carrot, tomatoes and herbs. Nothing innovative about that but necessary ingredients for any soup base. This is same base I use for other soups I make unless I make Indian, Asian or other ethnic soups. For chicken soup consomme I don't add the tomatoes. In Moroccan couscous soup I add cilantro and fennel. It is very similar to my friend Lora's see above comment, Fagioli soup as well, she published a year ago. Only thing she used rosemary instead of thyme and Parmesan which I never use in my soup. First time using kale for me I sauteed it a bit to get it to give and blend but it is a hardy leaf. Next time I would appreciate you leaving your name!!

      Delete
  16. As soon as I saw the picture I - literally - sound out loud, "That looks SO good!" What a terrific soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) It is a comforting one for cold winter days.

      Delete
  17. Hmmmm, I love this soup, I can't remember when was the last time I had it. I know it's a soup but I like to have it with bread than with the spoon. Just great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! A nice Italian loaf will go beautifully with this. I didn't have that perfect bread at home to dip into this soup when I made it few days ago. Need to plan better next time! :)

      Delete
  18. Looks like a chilly and rainy weekend is forecasted for San Diego. I think I'm going to need to make some of this soup to get me through :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love kale but i don't know why I haven't yet used it in a soup so thanks foe sharing! A lovely and hearty soup indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a beautiful, healthy, and hearty soup! I've saved the recipe and plan to try it on Saturday, when my boys (husband and son) will be looking for something hot and nourishing. What I love most: it's a simple recipe with nourishing, wholesome ingredients. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I definitely saved this recipe! I will be making this very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This soup looks wonderful. I think we might make it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on the article! This soup does look incredibly warm and cozy :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on the article Shulie. Wow, it will be on flight too. That's something great and I am so proud of you. The soup looks so hearty and filling. I love kale and have experimented few Indian dishes with it and they turned out pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whether a minestrone, fagioli or vegetable soup, it's warm and comforting and exactly what we crave at this time of year (in the Northern Hemisphere anyway). Congrats on the article, Shulie!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome recipe! Will definitely give this one a try!! Once again amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Why won't you post such a recipe?! Its beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahaha Kulsum TY you are the sweetest!! Just you know it never crossed my mind to post it, as I put it together last minute. Just like many dishes I cook and bake in my kitchen, whether planned or spontaneous, that never make it to these virtual pages!!:)

      Delete
  28. This looks wonderful - so hearty and delicious, perfect for chilly evenings!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations on the feature -- that bowl of soup is so comforting and drool-worthy. I want :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous soup, and looks so tasty too! I think this would be great with my Brazilian Cheese Puffs~Mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks so delicious and hearty - a true winter dish!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This soup has delicious and comfort written all over it. Just perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Craving this soup now. Looks spectacular!

    ReplyDelete