Rolled Oats Pancakes - Quick, Healthy and Delicious!

This will be the quickest post I have ever written. It amazes me every single time how quick and easy, as I call them, American pancakes are. When I saw this healthier twist to the traditional recipe in one of my favorite food magazines from Israel Al HaShulchan (on the table), I could not wait to make them! I just got it from an Israeli friend of mine living just a neighborhood over, she was on a business trip to Israel and brought me two current Israeli cooking magazines and a cookbook. I must admit I did light up like a little girl when I got what I consider, treasured surprises. The magazine featured breakfast and brunch recipes. Initially, when I saw the word Rivyon in the ingredient list, I don't know why, but yogurt came to mind. I embarked on a twitter quest since the yogurt I had in the fridge expired same day I was preparing the pancakes. With much panic I turned to my twitter friends as I was impatient to make a quick run to the supermarket. Later as it turned out Rivyon most resembles buttermilk so the first batch was with yogurt and I badly wanted to convince myself the pancakes were most delicious, but they were a bit dense.
 Today a day later I made a new batch breakfast for dinner and since I am not a huge fan of buttermilk, you can use it if you wish, I used whole milk. The pancakes were most delicious, did not have the density of the ones the day before. So gorgeous! You have to work quick with the rolled oats mix as for the batter not to thicken and turn into porridge, but if the batch does, no worries it will come out just fine. Rather than doubling the recipe if wishing for a larger batch, just toss a second one together in seconds. Initially the directions called to ladle with a small ladle but I found to tablespoon the batter works best. I also cut the amount of sugar in the recipe from third cup to a quarter. I also made mini pancakes and feel I can use this batter as a savory healthy substitute for buckwheat yeasted blinis, make these mini pancakes with a touch of salt instead of sugar, or just reduce the amount of sugar to 1 tablespoon and use it in an elegant dinner or upcoming New Year's gathering around the corner. They will still keep fluffy if you make them few hours in advance. So this recipe can take you from holiday breakfast or brunch to an elegant holiday party. I was debating with my good twitter friend, and refined pastry chef Ken@HungryRabbitNYC whether or not caramelized bananas flambe won't be an over kill for this recipe. After the first batch we both ruled against the flambe but now while second batch is behind me, I definitely feel it would pair beautifully together. The pancakes paired really well this evening with the nutty flavor of maple syrup flavor. You can also serve them with seasonal  fruit on the side and lace pancakes and fruit with maple syrup. Original recipe states makes 15 pancakes but mine came out at 12. For mini pancakes teaspoon the batter to make about 24 pancakes. This is the easiest, quickest recipe and will become a healthy delicious new tradition in our household!

Rolled Oats Pancakes

Ingredients:
1 cup self rising flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup sugar in the Raw
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 large egg
1 cup milk
Some oil for brushing before first batch (no need to oil in between batches)

Directions:
Pre heat a cast iron pan on medium heat.  Add all dry ingredients into a bowl first, then oil, egg and lastly the milk and mix batter. Turn down heat in between low to medium at this point. Brush preheated pan with a bit of oil and scoop a heaping tablespoon into pan. You will see air bubble showing up in batter, that is when you flip the pancake and let it golden on the flipped side. Serve immediately with banana flambe or seasonal fruit, lace with maple syrup for perfect pairing with the rolled oats pancakes! Bon Appetit!!

18 comments:

  1. Love the idea of adding oatmeal to pancakes to increase the nutrition. They look great. Banana flambe sounds like a fabulous addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite obsessed with pancakes, sweet or savory, but I'm always looking for healthier alternatives to them. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shulie as usual those look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM Shulie! I may make these for The Professor tomorrow morning for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you girls! These Rolled Oats Pancakes were so good I can predict they will make another appearance this weekend and the weekends after for years to come. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Shulie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made some rolled oats pancakes a while ago off Orangette and *love* They're So moreish aren't they? Also apparently rolled oats are good for lowering cholesterol. Heh, not that I have a cholesterol problem, I hope...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Sasa. I need to check Orangette's version. They are an absolute keeper...with now an extra bonus according to you, I had no clue:) And heeheehee, you are way too young to have those sorts of problems:).

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so good. I can't make a pancake to save my life. They either come out under cooked or have burnt edges...any suggestions? I'd like to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, funny you should ask Pammy. As I was writing the directions, I know I have debated over the years, what is the best policy for the same exact reasons and glitches you run into. Of course when you go to a diner or a restaurant they got the super hot griddle and I have no clue how they don't burn the pancakes from the outside and find the inside undercooked. I use cast iron and my trick is to heat up pan really well on medium. Then just when you are 100% sure the pan is heated well brush with a little of oil. Pour pancake batter in and reduce heat to low/medium. The bubbled won't show up instantly..when they start showing up, it is time to flip. Cook till golden and serve! I hope this helps. It does not dry the pancake it still fluffy and moist. See especially first photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I saw this recipe earlier!!! Just made sime pancakes for breaky, but I should have added some oats

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of adding rolled oats to pancakes. I've never considered it before. Brilliant. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anh, There is always next time. These pancakes are so easy to make that you can make them in a rush or at leisure.
    Thanks Trish, I can't take the credit, but when I saw the recipe I couldn'y wait to make it and sure enough within a week I did, which is a tad unusual for me. It usually takes months before I get around to it.
    Thank you both for taking the time and visiting. Shulie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the idea of oatmeal.

    Rolled oats make it sound healthier too!

    they look great and so simple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'd like to try it with a hint of cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks An. Yes they are extremely simple. Sort of unbelievable how simple and delicious! Hint of cinnamon sounds fantastic!! Thanks for commenting and visiting my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made some pancakes this morning for my son who is a very fussy eater (I vary between ricotta pancakes and rolled oat pancakes). This morning I tried your recipe although I added a whole grated apple and used butter instead of oil. I also only used about 2 teaspoons of brown sugar and a small squirt of maple syrup. DELICIOUS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear anonymous, you made my day. I completely can see how a grated apple could work with this. Happy to hear you finicky son liked it!! Means a lot. Our kids are our toughest critics and when they approve it means the world!! Like how you made this recipe your own.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rolled Oats is something I need to try next time I make pancakes. My boys just love them, oatmeal not so much so great idea combining them.

    ReplyDelete